PAQS Flatwater Skills Award
1.5 day course
half day theory, full day practical
$20 DISCOUNT FOR PADDLE SA MEMBERS
Holders of the Flatwater Skills Award have demonstrated that they can competently paddle a kayak and/or canoe during a trip, as part of a group of peers, on flat, sheltered, undemanding water. This Award, or equivalent skills and knowledge, is a pre-requisite to becoming a Flatwater Guide or Instructor.
Senior First Aid, Working With Children Check, Background Check, Play By The Rules
- Demonstrate the ability to control a craft in moderate conditions on flat, sheltered water.
- Launch and land efficiently
- Paddle the craft efficiently in moderate winds:
- forwards, backwards, sideways and turning
- using correct forward, reverse, draw and sweep strokes
- Show efficient use of low supports
- Capsize and swim craft ashore
- Competently participate in simple rescues as rescue and rescuer
- Competently accept a tow.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and navigate a 3-hour flatwater paddle:
- Store, operate and maintain appropriate safety equipment
- Select appropriate equipment and clothing with consideration of sun sense and hypothermia
- Navigate a 3-hour flatwater paddle
- Interpret weather for a flatwater environment.
Produce a verifiable log showing at least six trips of a minimum of three hours duration.
Demonstrate the ability to maintain effective communication with a group.
For more information, please visit the Paddle Australia Education website (http://education.canoe.org.au/) or the Paddle SA Education webpage (http://sa.paddle.org.au/education/).