Our popular two day course is designed to give you the fundamental skills and necessary to start sea kayaking safely on protected waters and the opportunity to attain your Paddle Australia Basic Skills Award (Kayak). Our Instructor/Student ratio is 1:6, so you are assured of first class tuition and service.
The Sea Starter course is held monthly, over two days: Saturday and Sunday at our Training & Hire Centre at Sandringham.
At the conclusion of the course you will be entitled to four hours* of FREE sea kayak hire. A great opportunity to hone and consolidate yourrnnew skills! Children, 14 and under are free, however they must paddle a double sea kayak with an adult.
- Boat design
- Choosing the right kayak
- Efficient methods of turning and steering your kayak
- Efficient forward paddling techniques
- Stopping, reversing and making your kayak go sideways
- Effects of tides and wind
- Edging and leaning
- Wet exits
- Review and revise
- The low support stroke
- C-C motion / hip flick
- Principles of Eskimo rolling
- Self rescues, assisted rescues
- Towing methods involving two orrn more paddlers
- Trip planning and trip ideas
- Group management skills.
How much and What does it Include?
- $320 per person or $270 if using your own kayak (must meet a specified standard)
- If you wish to undertake this course in one of our stable double sea kayaks the price is $490 for 2rn people (over 14)**
- Qualify for your Paddle Australia Basic Skills Award
- Sea kayak and accessories, safety gear and paddling jacket
- Extra equipment hire - wetsuit $15
- Four hours complementary sea kayak hire (valid for six months & not available if doing the course in your own kayak)
- Children, 14 and under are free tuition**, however they must paddle a double sea kayak with an adult