Our popular two day course is designed to give you the fundamental skills and necessary to start sea kayaking safely on protected waters. Our Instructor/Student ratio is 1:6, so you are assured of first class tuition and service.
The Sea Starter course is:
- Held over two days: Saturday and Sunday
- Sea Starter Courses are held monthly at our Training & Hire Centre at Sandringham
At the conclusion of the course you will be entitled to four hours* of FREE sea kayak hire. A great opportunity to hone and consolidate your new skills! Children, 14 and under are free, however they must paddle a double sea kayak with an adult.
- Boat design
- Choosing the right kayak
- Efficient methods of turning and steering your kayak
- Efficient forward paddling techniques
- Stopping, reversing and making your kayak go sideways
- Effects of tides and wind
- Edging and leaning
- Wet exits
- Review and revise
- The low support stroke
- C-C motion / hip flick
- Principles of Eskimo rolling
- Self rescues, assisted rescues
- Towing methods involving two or more paddlers
- Trip planning and trip ideas
- Group management skills.
How much & what does it include?
- $300 per person or $250 if using your own kayak (must meet a specified standard)
- If you wish to undertake this course in one of our stable double sea kayaks the price is $450 for 2 people (over 14)**
- Qualify for your Australian Canoeing (AC) Basic Skills Award - including certificate and registration - $35 per person - if there are two of you in a double let us know if you are both undertaking the award
- Sea kayak and accessories, safety gear and paddling jacket
- Four hours complementary sea kayak hire (valid for six months & not available if doing the course in your own kayak)
- Children, 14 and under are free, however they must paddle a double sea kayak with an adult
Outcomes & Results
- How to choose the right boat to purchase
- Understanding sea kayak design and performance
- Fundamental strokes and efficient technique
- Paddling with and without rudders
- Defensive paddling skills
- Self and assisted rescues and recoveries
- Effects of tide and wind
- Basic navigation principles
- Planning & preparation
*Complimentary hire must be completed in one session.